The Parents Council engages parents and families directly with students, administration, and other families to serve as ambassadors and advocates for the University of Tennessee.
Council members serve as liaisons, reflecting the views of parents to the administration and communicating with fellow parents about the university’s goals and plans. Members also help further the goals of the Parents & Families Fund through development and fundraising efforts. If you’re interested in supporting the Parents & Families Fund, click here.
The Parents Council consists of Parents Association members, with representatives from each graduating class at the university. Council Members support the Parents & Families Fund with a leadership gift, assist with planning and staffing Family Engagement events, and attend all Council meetings as representation of over 14,000 Parents Association members.
The Parents Council is hard at work fulfilling its purpose of fostering communication between the university and parents in order to improve the quality of the university experience for UT students and their parents.
Interested in joining the Parents Council? Email email@example.com to receive an application.
Parents Council Requirements
To join, families must make a $250 leadership gift each year. Leadership gifts are counted as tax-deductible gifts to the University’s Parents & Families Fund.
The Parents Council meets twice each year with the goal of serving Parents Association members and their students. During these meetings, Council members hear from campus administrators to convey the concerns of UT parents. Members are also recognized in electronic and print communications from the Office of Family Engagement.
Optional volunteer opportunities include:
- Volunteer at family weekend events and orientation sessions
- Assist in university recruiting efforts
- Support campus programming and initiatives throughout the year
- Plan and implement local engagement opportunities in your area
- Participate in webinars and panels representing the voice of UT families
2016 Fall Parents Council Meeting
The Parents Council met on February 26, 2016, to learn about some exciting changes at the University of Tennessee and within the Office of Family Engagement. The council heard from various staff members and administrators on priorities including Academic Advising, the Student Success Center, and the Dean of Students Office. The Family Engagement team also discussed some exciting efforts to engage more families to promote student success, retention, and graduation. Moving forward, the Council is focusing on major priority areas to impact students at the University of Tennessee including:
Safety & security
Student health & wellness
Development & fundraising
Parents & Families Fund Grant Program
The Parents & Families Fund Grant Program was established as a collaboration between the Office of Family Engagement and the Parents Council in an effort to provide support to student and parent programming that will enhance the collegiate experience of UT students, families, and the community. The program provides the opportunity for new recently expanded university-sponsored programs in the Division of Student Life to be awarded one-time funding. The following programs were selected to be funded for the 2016-2017 year:
- Big Orange Meal Share coordinated by a partnership between the Office of the Dean of Students, Student Government Association (SGA), Office of Family Engagement and Volunteer Dining
- UT to West Tennessee program coordinated Off-Campus & Commuter Services
- Take Back the Night coordinated by Women’s Coordinating Council
- Vol Night Long coordinated by the Center for Student Engagement
- Big Orange Organization Training (BOOT) Camp coordinated by the Center for Student Engagement
- Vols to Vols Lunch and Learns coordinated by the Center for Health Education and Wellness