2016 Family of the Year
The Office of New Student & Family Programs at the University of Tennessee is excited to honor a UT family by recognizing a Family of the Year. Families are an essential part of the support network for our students. Thus, we ask for you to honor those that support you by nominating them for UT’s Family of the Year. The award celebrates the role that families play in the lives of students and the Volunteer community. The selection of the University of Tennessee Family of the Year is based upon the nomination by UTK students and the review and selection by members of the UT Parents Council.
This award is given annually to the family of a current University of Tennessee student. Please review the award criteria and guidelines below and submit your nomination recognizing your exceptional family as the 2016 Family of the Year on or before Monday, August 1. Should you choose to complete a nomination, make sure to ask your family to save the date of September 17 in order to be present at the Fall Family Weekend tailgate.
- Families must have at least one (1) undergraduate student enrolled full time and in good standing at the UTK campus;
- All families are eligible for consideration regardless of residency or alumni status;
- Student nominators must submit an essay of 1,000 words or less and a 30-60 second video;
- All nominations must be submitted online via the website form at parents.utk.edu prior to 5pm on August 1, 2016. Nominations received after the date and time will not be considered for this award.
The award will be judged based on the following:
- Provides ongoing support for student success;
- Serves as a positive role model in various aspects of life (e.g. behavior, finances, etc.);
- Makes personal and/or professional sacrifices for other members of the family;
- Helps you gain independence and provides the tools for you to be successful at UT;
- Supports the University of Tennessee; and/or
- Continues to empower and challenge you to grow as a person
Answer the following questions as completely and as accurately as possible. The essay should be a maximum of 1,000 words describing why your family should be selected for this award. Please be sure that your essay includes answers to the following questions:
- Please indicate and describe how your family members have been supportive of your success in college.
- Please indicate and describe what effect your family has had on you during your college experience.
- Why do you think your family should be selected as UT’s Family of the Year and how do they stand out from other UT families?
- Please indicate one word or phrase that describes your family and why you selected that.
- Any additional comments you would like to make.
Please submit a 30 to 60 second video of why you are nominating your family for Family of the Year. This is not supposed to be a professional production and no outside resources can be used to create the video. This is an informal video and way for us to hear your reasoning for the nomination. If you need help recording a video, feel free to use the Studio in Hodges Library. More information can be found at https://www.lib.utk.edu/studio/
What the Family of the Year will receive:
- Up to four (4) complimentary Family Weekend passes for your family; for more information about Fall Family Weekend, please visit parents.utk.edu.
- Premiere seating at the September 17th football game against the Ohio University Bobcats
- A commemorative plaque presented to you and your family during the Family Weekend tailgate
- Your family will be featured in UT Family Engagement publications including the Family Engagement website
- $500 textbook loan
Deadline for Nominations is Monday, August 1, 2016.
Even if your submission is not chosen, we hope you will share it with your family and use Fall Family Weekend to spend some quality time celebrating your wonderful Volunteer family.
Questions? Please contact the Office of New Student & Family Programs staff at 865-974-4546 or email@example.com.
To apply, please fill out the form below: